Tuesday 8 July 2014

Barefoot Walk

One of my goals for my writing is to focus on description, not just moving the story forward.  Last weekend we went to Kew Gardens and did lots of fun things.  One of the things we did was called the Barefoot Walk.  It was a walk that had lots of obstacles that you could walk on in your bare feet.  I decided to do some writing this week about the Barefoot Walk and try my best to use of similes and descriptions.

The Barefoot Walk

Ouch!  The hard round rocks hurt under my skinny feet.  All the stones together look like a giant tortoise shell.  I tiptoed over them very slowly.







Next we came to a big tree truck that we had to walk over.  It felt smooth and fuzzy like a hairy caterpillar.





















After that I ran through a pit full of tiny pine cones. I thought they looked like shaggy armadillo noses.  It felt like they were nibbling my toes with their prickly spikes.











Then we went along half a dozen huge round branches, lined up beside each other.  They looked like rough tiger stripes.














Suddenly I saw our next obstacle.  At the end of the branches were 3 different paths with two logs in a big v-shape.  The paths were made out of soft golden sand, dark grey stone and sharp, glinting pebbles.















It looked like a huge catapult about to fire all three things at once.  I quickly zig-zagged over them so I wouldn't have to walk on the peebles for too long.














Just round the corner were a whole load of pure, brown tree stumps shaped like the curls of Georgian wigs.
















Thud!  My foot hit something cold and scaley.  For a split second I thought I had just stepped on the tail of a croc.  But it was just another tree trunk.  Phew!  I balanced my way across the trunk like a clumsy flamingo, clutching the rope on my left.  I wondered what the next adventurous task would be.












Just then the answer came to me.  It was a huge pond full of grimy water!  Oh great!  It looked really deep so I had to sit down at the side of the pond before finally dipping my feet into the freezing water.  In fact it was so cold I felt like I was trapped inside the biggest ice-berg on Earth.  I waded through the large round pond before carefully stepping out at the other end.  It was a relief to be out of that antarctic sea.









All of a sudden my stomach flipped.  The next thing was not something you'd want to walk through right after you have cleaned your feet.  MUD!!!!!  I squelched through the big, sticky, hippo-dung smelling pit like an ogre chasing a fly.

Finally the walk was over.

THE END








Here are some more photos of us enjoying the walk...










2 comments:

  1. Hi Finn :-)
    Wow that looks like so much fun, your descriptions are so good I can imagine myself there with you!

    Cant wait to see more!

    Lots of love and hugs
    Auntie Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Finn! It's Aunty Ju here! What an awesome day you had and your story was brilliant. Aunty Ju promises to check your blog more often...it's 9.15pm so nearly bedtime but I'm going to show Noah and Jesse this at breakfast tomorrow. Miss you all sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! Hee Hee XX

    ReplyDelete