Monday 25 August 2014

Science Museum Pattern Pod


When we were in London we went to a special space at the Science Museum called the Pattern Pod.  This term my class is doing patterns for their inquiry project so I decided to share some of the stuff I've been doing on patterns as well.  The Pattern Pod was a fun place where you could just play with patterns. 

In this activity you could create your own kaleidoscope patterns and then they were projected onto a large screen for everybody to see.  This is what mine looked like. 

Even Patch is having a turn.  I think his looks like a wolf made out of dots.


Finally Isaac is having a turn too.

My baby brother also liked this little screen on the floor that showed a picture of lots of fish swimming across a bunch of rocks.  When you touched it real effects would show up.  So you would get ripple patterns in the water and splash patterns if you stepped on a fish.




This was a fun pattern activity I did where I got to make a pattern out of magnetic foam shapes.  My finished pattern looks like a bit like how an Egyptian would make patterns to look like something like a guardian.





This was a game you turned a domed platform round and round trying to get a silver ball to roll and land in the middle of a fake metal beehive.  The patterns were like the patterns you would see in honeycomb.


We also explored the sound patterns of our bodies, footprint patterns and patterns with our bodies in a room with special lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment