Tuesday 28 July 2015

Chelsea Young Writers Workshop

Yesterday I was lucky enough to attend a Young Writers Workshop taught by Patricia Elliott who has written many books for children and young people.  It was called:  "Frozen! Trapped on the Polar Ice!" We had to imagine that we were in an old fashioned whaling ship and we were trying to sail across the Antarctic but we got trapped in the ice.  Then we had to make it to the nearest whaling station which was over 2000 miles away.








I'm trying to use every opportunity I can to become a better writer.  Yesterday I worked out that I need to put a bit more dialogue and a bit more action and less chunky description.  I also want to use more smooth description and try and find ways to fit it in whilst the action is happening.  So that's what I'm going to work on from now on.

Here is my writing from yesterday:  (There are a few gaps as I haven't written the whole story)


The Icy Voyage of Doom

CCCCRACK!  The pearl white ice cascaded towards us like a speeding bullet determined to find its mark!  Then the tormenting wind pushed our glistening ship plummeting into the frozen abyss below. 

(gap)

Suddenly a blood curdling scream erupted from an enormous pit below us engulfing masses of immense darkness by the second.  The endless chasm seemed to be the mouth of a ginormous  ice monster swallowing poor souls full of nothing but horrifying terror which must feels as if being cut through with a million swords dripping with deadly poison.

(gap - where one of my crew has to be left behind because there's not enough food for everyone)

As he left a dark feeling started spreading throughout my heart.  I felt as if I was full of evil magic and disease.  He would surely perish but I knew what had been done had to be done.

(gap - My crew and I are seeing strange visions in the ice)

Suddenly I was flooded with a vision that made me want to run or cower.  For what I saw made my heart beat faster than a cheetah can run.  I saw Michael struggling to survive full of destiny and hope but then I saw his body melting away until all that was left of him was a mere corpse drifting swiftly through the misty wasteland like an unwanted spirit.

(gap - we finally reach the whaling station)

Mountain Range
As I saw the lights up ahead hope and gratitude washed over me in great waves.  My arm shot out like a rocket and I gingerly wrapped my muscular hand around the shimmering golden door knob.




One of my characters
This is my map of Antartica

4 comments:

  1. Hi Finn!!!!!!!
    Wow! Your writing is awesome! Your descriptions were so good that it felt like we were actually in Antarctica. Your planning and pictures were epic too. We all wanted to keep reading your great story. Thanks for sharing it.
    From Elliyah,Eden, Scarlett, Tim, Tom, Oliver and Room 16

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I really did try my best and it's awesome to get a comment from you all. I'm looking forward to seeing you all when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Finn!! We're glad you enjoyed Patricia's workshop and took away some useful tips! We would be delighted to be able re-publish your post on our own with credits and backlink.

    ReplyDelete