Thursday 6 August 2015

Spot the Bird

                                

 One day when we went to Kensington park I caught sight of a tree that was rustling and some leaves were falling.  I thought there was a squirrel because that's how squirrels usually behave dropping nuts and making leaves fall when they jump.

But when I looked up into the trees there weren't any squirrels.  In fact I couldn't see anything.  So I had to walk around and listen carefully under the tree for a while.  Then when I squinted really hard something caught my eye.  It was a tiny red triangle.  Then when I focused on that one part of the tree I could just make out the outline of a awesome bird.  It camouflaged so well that I could barely see it.

When we got home my Mum said she thought it might be a green parakeet, so I looked up a green parakeet, and some of them looked a bit similar but the wings of the bird I had seen were darker and the bird I saw didn't have nearly as many colours.  Then I decided to look up if any parakeets lived in London and I found a Wikipedia page on the Kingston Parakeet and when I looked at the picture that they had it looked exactly the same.

I learned:

  • there are only about 50,000 Kingston Parakeets living in the wild today
  • they are most common in southeastBritain
  • They are also called the Twickenham Parakeet.
  • They get their name because they live around the suburbs of Twickenham and Kingston.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Finn
    That looks similar to the Lorikeet that we see in New Zealand. How did it catch your eye if it was so camouflaged? Your lucky to see birds like that in the middle of Londan.
    From Ian, Emma, Mr Clark and Room 16

    ReplyDelete